Milton Willard, 3rd Class Electrician, USS Georgia – First Leg

around the horn

Milton had a lot of time on his hands.  His mistake with overstaying his liberty kept him on the ship in Trinidad and with nothing better to do he wrote to his family, a lot.  One letter in this portion of the voyage was 19-pages long!


dec 23, 1907 - Trinidad Is. of Spain

Dear Folks & all,

Here we are at last and it almost seems a century since I heard from you.  Now is my opportunity so I will set down and tell you in black and white about our trip.  It has been an interesting one and no doubt the Phila. North Arn. was full of it.  We have a reporter on here who is making the trip with us.  I do not know what a lip open he is on. Well to get down to my story.  We left Hampton Roads on the 16 of December and was a nice day.  The Mayflower arrived with the President at 8 bells and swung in along us and dropped anchor.  As he came in each ship fired a salute of 21 guns.  Then the officers left their ships to visit him and as soon as they all returned he took up anchor and reviewed the fleet.  He went up through the center and back and as he left we followed.  The Mayflower led us as far as Horseshoe Curve and then dropped anchor again.  As each ship passed they fired a salute and for a while the air was blue.

Milton Willard DEC 23 1907 001



He raise a signal which meant a safe journey and merry Christmas to all and the band played, "The girl I left behind me" and "Away down in Dixie" and a few other pieces and then we put out to sea.  We passed Colebra, San Juan and St. Thomas a few days ago but today wee passed Venezuela and came in sight of Trinidad about noon.  You could just see the mountains but at six o'clock we got there and dropped anchor.  This is all I can think of now but will write more later.  I am well and hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Your Son,

M. H. Willard

USS Georgia c/o P.M.N.Y.  N.Y.

milton_willard_Trinidad Letter 1 combo

Isle of spain, trinidad - december 25, 1907

Dear Folks,

Today is Christmas they say but it is the warmest Christmas I ever had.  I had just as soon be in a bake oven as to be on deck.  I believe it is about 110 in the shade.

We are having all kinds of sport here.  They are having races of all descriptions and it is a legal holiday.  I can not go ashore here but that does not matter as there is nothing but niggers and mountains to see.  This is I found the isle of Spain which once belonged to Spain but later the English got possession of it.  It is part of Trinidad.  Hope you have had a merry Christmas and a happy New Year and I assure you I will.

From your son and brother,

M. H. Willard

USS Georgia c/o P.M.N.Y  N.Y.


at sea january 9, 1908

Dear Folks & All,

Am going to start this letter a little ahead of  time so you will receive a nice long letter  when you get it.  Well we left Trinidad on  a Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock December 29, 1907.  We expect ed to leave at 3:30 am, but the Maine who is always behind had not got all her coal aboard held us until 4 o'clock.  We were not sorry when we left.  Everybody was anxious to push out to sea again.  We kept in sight of land till dark when we arose next am there was no land in sight.  The first day out we did not do much in the line of drill as everybody turned too and cleaned ship.  Before we left the Port of Spain the Governor of Trinidad visited all flagships and told the Commander in Chief (R. D. Evans) or I should say congratulations on how the men of the fleet conducted themselves while ashore.

It was getting nearer New Years everyday until at last we found ourselves many miles at sea and New Years the day following.  On New Years I began a New Year all over and made a few resolutions.  Will tell you what they are if I don't forget sometimes.  Of course there was no ddoings and we did not have a feast but the sametime it is a holiday.  It is very warm here and you can hardly find a cool spot on the ship.  Most of the time we have been going SE by E but on January 2, 1908 we changed our course to South and at present are going S by SE.


Milton Willard January 7 l907 002

We came very near ramming the Louisiana's stern.  We came so close we got her "patent's" "log" fouled.  (Patent log is a string fastened to a dial which drags in the water to tell the distance of travel.)  This nearing the time for us to cross the line and there is where we get initiated.  Tonight January 3, Neptune ahoyed us and told the men that he was coming aboard at 9 o'clock on the next day.  And he certainly did come aboard and we had great sport that day.  I got mine and am not a bit sorry.  I was up on the  forcastle and one of the equator police spied me and he run me up to a fellow who took  my name then I was turned over to the doctor who gave me a phony  pill.  Then a fellow pounded me on the head with a mallet to see if it was sound.  I was then turned over to a fellow who had a lot of yellow stuff in a barrel and had a big brush also he looked at me and asked a question.  When I answered he daubed the brush in my mouth and another fellow, with a big sponge, rubbed the same stuff all over my head, face, neck, shoulders, and then shoved me to the barber who made a few passes at me with a big wooden razor and another fellow grabbed me and threw me into a big tank full of water where some more had the pleasure of giving me a ducking.  I was glad to get out when they let me.  I got my certificate and will mail it with this letter.

Saturday Afternoon, January 11, 1908

As this is Saturday and a half holiday am going to write some more on this letter I started a few days ago.  I just wish you could see me as I do not know whether my skin that my face arms, shoulders and hands will ever get white again.  They are pretty brown now and goodness knows what they will be when we reach Frisco.

I tried to sleep a little while this pm, but it was so hot every place I got.  I finally gave it up as a bad job.  I am anxious for now as it has been over a month since we have had mail.   There will be plenty when we get to Rio but I can hardly wait.  We are still at sea and making a little better than 11 knots.  Yesterday I worked pretty hard.  You do not know what rain is until you get down in this climate.  It come up a rain yesterday right after dinner and the drops were as big as hens eggs.  It did not last long but later it started in again and kept at it all night long.  As yet we have seen no land that wee could see with the naked eye.  A few nights ago we came very near running into a sailing ship but lucky enough for them we steered to port and came in front of the Rhode Island who nearly run into us.  That same night a fellow was dreaming an hollering "man overboard," in his sleep.  This ships signaled other and all ships came to a halt.  We all turned on our search lights also lowered a launch.  We had been hunting about 1/2 hour when the guilty party awoke and explained matters to the officer of the deck and got 2-days in the brig.  I have been in my turret for about 1-hour writing and am wet through with sweat.

How is everything in Belle Fonte now.  Is business is good as ever?  I think Pop struck a pretty good thing there to what I seen but is his business advertised further into the country.  You know advertising does not cost so much but always pays in the long run.  Will have to quit now and write some more soon.

Rio de Janeiro - Tuesday Evening, January 14, 1908

I am going to try and finish this letter now I have not had a chance since Saturday to write to anybody.  We got mail today and out of it I got five letters, two post cards and a little package.  I felt pretty glad when I heard mailo.  Well we came in sight of land Sunday morning and came in  to single file.  The Yankton steamed to the Connecticut and put the harbor pilot aboard.  We stayed in sight of land till we dropped anchor.  It is certainly a pretty place and at the entrance to the harbor there is three forts that they fired a salute and wee answered them.  The harbor is a very spacey place and was full of pleasure boats when we arrived.  Three Brazilian men-of-war escorted us in to the harbor.  They come out to meet us about 1 o'clock and after saluting turned around and came into the harbor.  There are 2 German battleships and a number of Brazilian battleships, also some French.  Some of them look funny and none are as large as our smallest ship in the fleet.  We did not drop anchor till 4 o'clock and then officers from foreign ships were coming aboard to visit and that same day we rigged up coaling gear.  I had to run a search light till 10 o'clock and then turned in only to get up at 4:30 and run a deck winch for coaling purpose all day, and at night went on my searchlight.  We did not get through till 2 o'clock.  Tuesday morning after taking on 1600 tons of coal.  The crew all slept in till 7 o'clock and then went to cleaning ship and I have been at it all day.  I am pretty tired now, I don't know whether I can get ashore or not.  Got handkerchiefs for Lucy and they are pretty nice.  Guess I will close now with love to all.  I remain well & happy.

M. H. Willard, USS Georgia, c/o P.M. San Francisco

Yankton, New Jersey at Rio de Janeiro
Soldiers of Brazilian Army on Quarterdeck of Georgia,  Rio de Janeiro


Milton Willard January 28, 1908 001

At Sea - January 28, 1908

Dear Folks -

We are still at sea and have nothing to do at present so will start a letter.  I have not written anything except my log since we left Rio. and I have quite a few things to say so will begin now.

I am going to start from January 20, 1908 and give you the facts.  This day found us still at Rio. Although we had a number of visitors aboard they could not understand our language of course we could understand theirs.  We was up bright and early and began illuminating ship.  it took us till after super to rig it all up and at 6:30 we had it working.  At 7:30 word was passed to man the search lights.  There is where I rang in.  We had to watch the flagship Connecticut and turn them on with her.  At 8 bells every ships search light in the fleet went on at once and there we had a time training them just right.  AT 8:30 the ships were all illuminated and it certainly did look pretty.  the foreign ships were illuminating also.  Turned out our search lights at 8:45 pm and all gear at 10 pm.

January 21, 1908 was up at 5 am to take in sundown light and then we hauled down all illuminating gear.  AT 2:30 we had it all below and stowed away.  Slept the rest of the day.

January 22, 1908, and all is well.  We dressed ship today with flags to celebrate a holiday they had here.  Later we prepared for sea.  At 11:30 the President of Brazil entered the harbor and all ships saluted him and afterward the Brazilian ships took up anchor and circled around the fleet reviewing it.  Two Brazilian ships full rigged had sailors man the yard arms and at 4 pm we took up anchor and passed out of the harbor on our way out to sea.

This morning about 2:30 am the SS Niles arrived with mail and had 20 bags of mail for this ship alone.  In it was socks from Papa which I appreciated very much.  Also kitties candy though badly smashed and melted I enjoyed it very much.  I also received the pictures and three handkerchiefs from Lucy.  Thursday, January 23, 1908 were at sea making about 10 knots.  Our course is SW by S.  Did not do much today.  January 24, 1908 and all is well.  Speeded up to 11 knots today.  Course same as yesterday.  The sea is not very rough yet.  Toward evening it gets chilly and the uniform has not changed.  Saturday January 25, 1908 and a clear day.  We slowed to 8 knots but speeded up again later.  Course SW by S.  Today wee are three days out to sea.  January 26, 1908 was Sunday and I got up at 5:45 am and came on deck.  The sea was the roughest it has been so far on our trip.  The waves were coming over the forward turret.  Today the uniform was changed to blues.  Last night the Glacier, Yankton, Culgoa and Panther arrived us but the Glacier is the only one with us today.

January 27, 1908 was the coldest it has been yet and it is getting colder right along.  Still making good time.  Seen a few young whales , also some black fish.  Four Argentine battleships joined us today about 3 am and followed us for aways about 8:30 am they passed us and fired a salute.  The Connecticut returned the salute.  January 28, 1908 and all is well.  Sea is smooth.   Speed 10 knots.  Passed Gulf of S. Matiao a little after dinner.  January 29, 1908 was Wednesday and wee had a pretty nice day.  This evening all the ships had search light drill from 8 to 8:45 pm and torpedo attack at night.  Going in Column of fours.  January 30, 1908 was up on deck at 4 bells and we also speeded  up to 11 knots at 8 am.  We have not passed Cape Virgina yet.  Pay day today on all the ships.  January 31, 1908  and a mighty cold day it has been.  Speed 10 knots.  At 12 M. we had 85 miles to go and after going about 35 miles wee dropped anchor for the night.  We are about 50 miles from Punta Arenas.  February 1, 1908  and we took up anchor and put out to sea at 3:30 am.  We are headed straight for Punta Arenas in single column at about 10 knots.  We kept in sight of land all the way in and at 12:30 we dropped anchor.


There are a few Chilean battleships here also an English man-o-war and they all saluted us on our arrival.  This is their summer here and this is almost as cold as our winter.  I think their winter must be something like it is in Alaska.  The houses are mostly of brick while the principal street (there is only one) runs the length of the town and other street branch off on one side.  Their chief industry is hides and furs.  Some are civilized excepting the native who live further south on the place.  Received message tonight coaling gear for collier Saturday evening but no collier is in sight yet.  Sunday, February 2 1908 and all is well in the fleet.  A number of foreign officers were aboard today.  We did not coal today but the uniform was dress blues for general muster.  That is enough trip talk for a while.  Now I will answer your letter.    Do not fail to get those running shoes off as soon as possible as I want them in Callao and also Paul's running suit.  Hoping this reaches you soon.  I am your Son and Brother, Milton, USS Georgia c/o P.M. San Francisco, Cal.


Milton Willard Feb 7, 1908 001

at sea in-route to callao, peru - february 11, 1908

Dear Folks and All,

As I have a few spare moments will give you an account from the time we left Punta Arenas until I mail this letter.  There is not much to write while at sea because all you can see is salt water  but will do my best and try and give you all the facts.  I will begin with Friday February 7, 19088 and we was preparing for sea all day.  That was no easy job as all boats, cranes, awnings, stay lights, searchlights, had to be made secure in the morning and in the afternoon they busied them selves by putting a canvas cover on the after or main mast.  Also put up all weather screens about 9:30 pm at night they began taking down gang ways and rigging in booms.  I was up till 11 pm standing by a light.  Everything was ready for sea at 11 pm and we took up anchor and stood out to sea.  The torpedo boat flotilla went with us also a Chilean man-o-war.  As soon as we got underway I went below and turned in.  Next morning February 8, 1908 I was up at 6 bells and went on deck to get a breath of air.  All you could see  was lofty mountains on both sides and whether or not they were inhabited or not I could not say.

The peaks were all covered with snow and near the base you could see a little bunch of grass once in a while.  I do not know what any body could love on in these straits if they were inhabited on account of the hills and rocks and so little grass that you would have hard time planting anything because where grass won't grow nothing will.  If you remember right it was a year ago today when I shipped in the Navy and it does not seem that long.  Seen a glacier about noon and it was a pretty good size.  The flotilla (Mosquito Fleet) fell behind but soon caught up again and went ahead of us.  The fleet  is in single column making about 10 knots going W by S.  In waiting till 11 pm Friday we caught the west tide and passed out of the Straits into Pacific waters about 7 pm.  We also passed a steamer bound from Valparaiso to Punta Arenas.  Sunday February 9, 1908 was pretty chilly but there was no snow.  We ran into a heavy fog at night and had to run the search light to all all night.  We are making about 10 knots course NW by W.  The Chilean ships is still leading or was when we ran into a fog.  It was foggy Monday, February 10, 1908 and could not see any ships but kept our fog whistle going all day also had search lights on. I stood a 2-1/2 watch on a searchlight and then turned in.  Tuesday February 11, 1908 and was up at 6 bells and on deck and the fog was as heavy as usual.  Same course speed 10 knots.  About 11 pm the fog cleared away and found the 2nd Squadron way out of position.  They soon got into position and we are making up for lost time now.  For the benefit of those who can't tell time by bells I will explain.  We will start at 12 o'clock noon which is 8  bells 12:30 is 1 bell 1 pm is 2 bells, 1:30 is 3 bells . . .

February 16, 1908 - Will write some more on this letter and see what I can point out that is of interest to you.  When I left off we were just getting out of the fog and we did not miss the next fog either..  February 12, 1908 was bright and clear for awhile and though there was signs of a fog we escaped it.   It is getting warmer everyday but we are still wearing  blues.  Our speed is 10 knots and course N by W.  We have been 5-days at sea and no land in sight yet.  Passed a tramp steamer about noon February 3, 1908 ws very foggy and had searchlights on all day and at night.  Stood watch on them.  We passed out of the fog Friday.  Due to arrive at Valparaiso today but slowed down to 8 knots so we would not get there till Friday.  Course N.W by W.  February 14, 1908 was bright and clear and wee slowed down to 6 knots.  Course N by E.  Came in sight of some Chilean ships about 10 am and at 10:30 am.  We sighted land.  The foreign ships led us into Valparaiso harbor about 2 pm and after saluting the flag with 21 guns we kept underway and passed the Presidential yacht and fired 21 more shots from 3 lb. gun.  The beach was just crowded with people and the city itself is no small place.  We was out of the harbor and making 12 knots at 3 pm.  The Yankton was in the harbor when we came in.  The presidents yacht was a 3-masted schooner and sailors were manning the yard arms.  It looked very pretty.  A  N.Y. Herald reporter was there and had his flag flying on a bank in view of all the ships they had in big white letters, WELCOME.  Saturday, February 15, 1908 and all is well.  Speed was 12 knots till noon and then dropped back to 10 knots. Uniform changed to undress whites today.  Had general muster.  Nine days at sea today speed is 10 knots, course N by W.  Newman at the wheel.  Monday February 17. 1908 at sea nearing Callao.  It begins to get warmer everyday now.  We are going at 10 knots.  Course NW by N.  Ping pong today.Wednesday February 19, 1908 and are getting nearer and nearer.  A Peruvian man-of-war came out to meet us and escort us in.  We had search light drill at night and they went by groups.  Thursday, February 20, 1908 am we came in sight of land at 8:30 am and changed our course and went in in line of division.  Every ship fired a salute of 21 guns and for a while you could see only smoke.  We took up anchor at about 2:30 pm to go out and sing ship.  We dropped anchor first at 10:30 am and lowered the steam launches. That is where we got our mail from one of the steam ships which consisted of 32 bags for our ship alone.  I got 8 letters and about a dozen postcards.  I am satisfied so far but they have not read out all of the mail yet and they might be more Friday, February 21, 1908.  All hands were up at 4:30 am to coal ship.  They had everything ready but there was not collier so wee just waited till 10:30 when the collier St. Andrews came alongside.  We only had 250 tons on at 12 noon and commenced again at one o'clock and quit at 6 pm and at 6:30 pm started again.  I was on a deck wench all day and a searchlight at night.  We knocked off at 12 midnight having put 1200 ton aboard.  How does that sound to you.  Can you imagine your self with 1200 ton in your cellar.  Turned in and went to sleep till 9 am.  Saturday am February 1908 and then turned too with the crew on cleaning stations.  This is certainly a very warm place here and I hope we stay in this climate for a while.  The people here are a mixed race of Indians, Peruvians, Aruevican (?) people and niggers.  There has been no liberty for our division yet although the first division has given liberty today.  Will answer mother's letter now.  I tried to get more souvenirs in Trinidad but everything was so high I had to get little things.  I have not been ashore yet so I could not describe it.  I will try and finish this letter now so I can send it.  I forget to say that Saturday was Washington's birthday and we dressed ship and made visits.  It was a holiday in the Navy.  Today we had a feast for which to celebrate.  There are also several races to take place today.  We will dress ship again at noon when the President of the Republic reviews the fleet.  It is very hot here today and but very little breeze stirring.  I am sending you a copy of the paper we get.  You will find some English in it also I am sending some clippings I cut from papers.  Enclosed find a little poem which ws made up by our flag Lieutenant.  It is very cute.  One night we could not distinguish a barks stay lights and we very near run her down and it was taken from that.  We will probably get one more mail before we leave here.  I am well and hoping you are the same, I send my love to all,  From Son & Brother, Milton, USS Georgia c/o P.M. San Francisco.


Callao, Peru - February 27, 1908

Dear Folks and all:

As I have already written you a long letter will now write another one not so long but it may be of interest to you.  This has been a very hot day and it is now only 3:30 pm and I quit work so I could do some writing.  We had a number of visitors aboard today and some very swell women were aboard.  To get back to what I was going to say.  Monday was the big day in Lima.  The President gave a bullfight in honor of the American Fleet.  The bull fight was held at Lima which is situated about ten miles from Callao.  There ws over 4,000 blue-jackets that was allowed to go free at first then they changed it to anyone in uniform was free.  We left the ship Monday morning about 10:30 and was on the beach at 10:50 am.  The offer in charge marched us to street cars which were waiting for us.  The street cars had big posters of American flag on which was printed in big letters Welcome to the American Fleet.  We all piled in the street car and went out to the bull ring and got off.  Then we formed into column of squads and marched into the arena.  The officers of the fleet was at one side while the jackies occupied two sides and on the other side ws Presidents, Admirals and Captains in boxes.  The price of admission for civilians or outsiders was 30 to 40 soles which is 30 to 40 dollars in their money and $15 or $20 in our money.  The fighters was all from Spain and the bulls were named after the Admirals.  Admiral Emory's bull being named "Teddy".  Then there was a bull named after the officers of the fleet and also one for the bluejackets.  They made short work of the first bull because he was not very large.  the second they had quite a time with.  When he came into the ring he was followed by 4 men on horseback and they threw little spears into him to anger him.  After he was pretty mad they left and the fighters came on.  They had bright red capes and kept waving them in front of the bulls.  They were not on horseback and they had to kill the bull with swords and in order to kill him or reach him they had to get pretty close.  At last he made a plunge for a fellow and the fellow just jumped aside and made one plunge with his sword and the bull was done for.  Then some men came in on horse back dragging a two wheeled truck and rode around the arena and then put a rope around the bull horns raised his head upon the truck and dragged him off.  The third bull was more vicious yet and one fellow was caught in under the chin by a horn and it come out up by his nose.  He is not dead yet but there is no hopes.  After he got hurt he jumped up and an off the ring holding his chin.  While blood was running all down his arm.  Another fellow went out and he just made one pass at the bull and killed him.  They made short work of the 4 and 5th bull but when it came to the 6th one which was named after the bluejackets they were certainly up against the real thing.  One fellow got right in under the bull and if it had not been for another fellow who got the bulls attention that first man would be hooked right through but this second man got the bull away and the bull charged and caught this fellow right in the leg above the knee and tore his leg up to his thigh.

Laid it right open to the bone and then sheared off and run it into his stomach and for a while I thought he was dead.  When the bull got his horn in his stomach he just picked him up and spun him around in the air four or five times and then let him down and they carried him off to the dressing room.  Another fellow went in and put the bull out of business.  There was only six bulls and the fight was interesting but none of it for "much".  We left there about 5 pm and got back to the ship at 8 bells.  Tuesday I went over to an island and to play baseball.  They claim here that this island came up in one night.  Their story says that a fisherman was fishing and this island rose up out of the water in under him.  This island is like a desert and is used as a store place for explosives.  They have a few soldiers on guard over there and also an armory.  They speak Spanish but we met one man who could say some few words in English.  I got some very pretty shells on the beach and will send them when I reach Frisco.  Wednesday we went ashore to play ball again and had the Electrical gunner with us.  They were going to charge us two soles for four in a cab to take us out there to the bullring.  A man came up and he heard us trying to talk to the Peruvian and he told us in good English he would direct us to where we could get an electric car.  He did that and got on with us and payed for the whole bunch 13 in all and took us on out the bull ring.  He then bid us good bye and shook hands and before he left we asked him where he  lived and he told us in Callao.  He went 15 miles out of his way to show us to the bull ring.  After our game we came back to Callao and had a look around the place.  I wanted a basket o fruit and there was a lady who was standing right there waiting for a car.  She was good looking and swell dressed and I went up and asked her if she spoke English and Spanish.  She says Oh!  Yes I am from the States myself.  The priced the fruit and I got a basket which cost me 1 sol and 1/2 sol.  I offered her the basket of fruit and she said she had plenty of them growing up to her home.  After that I left and we all went down to the dock got in the boat and came back to the ship.  Thursday there was another bull fight but did not go as we are going to illuminate ship tonight.

Guess I will be off now with love to all I am as ever your Son and Brother, Milton Willard


Magdalena Bay - March 29, 1908

Dear Folks,

Do you think I forgot to write, oh no never.  I always try to answer your letters the very day I receive them but sometimes I am busy and have no time but I always manage to answer them before they are in my possession a week.  I received your letter you wrote the 16th o f March and will answer.  I did not get it only Friday and this is the first change I have had to answer it.  I also got a letter from Paul and one from Roger and will try and answer Roger's in this as I won't have to send a separate letter.  When you mail as much mail in a month as I do you will begin to buy your stamps by the $1 worth.  Yesterday I bought a dollars worth of 1's and 2's and so far today I have used 19 one cent stamps and 7 2 cent stamps and have a good many more letters to answer.  There is not much doing here now as very near all the ships have finished with their target practice.  I see by the paper that Frisco and Seattle are going to give us a big blow-out and you can gamble on me being there to take it all in.  We will anchor at Long Beach.  We do not leave here till April 12 so that will be about 14 more days in this dreary place:  Nobody cares to go ashore because there is nothing to go for and all we do is visit other ships.  Last night we had a show or entertainment on the forecastle and it was certainly good will send you a program.  The songs were fine and the last boxing contest was good as far as it went.  In the last part of the 3rd round Crowley hit Ryan in the solar plexis in a one arm clinch and he went down in a heap.  Crowley is to meet the light weight champion of the fleet soon.  The fellow that got knocked is laying on a cot in the sick bay (hospital).  I wonder does the people of U.S. think it worth while to send this fleet around the globe.  I answer to question there are three reasons why I think it worth while:

(1) It will give the people of U.S. an idea of the speed of a squadron of battleships.

(2) It shows that we are welcome in any port.

(3) Itt will be worth while to remember this trip.

It is worth while to waste ammunition to have target practice.  The men show a greater record this year than ever before and in order to make these records they have to use shot and shell and will not be long until U.S. is first in standings in the Navy.  It is worth while to pay $8000 a ship to go through the Suez Canal.  Think it over and then give me your opinion.  All these things gives the people of U.S. a better standing and power of the Navy.  There are a good many worth whiles in this world but as I am not writing the oration will not give any more tips.  I thought I had been writing some awfully long letter of late and do not think you receive them sometimes there is not much news and I have nothing to write so I have to write short letters.  But do you call 10 and 12 pages short.  I am sure I don't so you received the Kodak pictures I sent.  Well I am glad you got those and will send about 50 more later.  They cost 10 cents a piece and when you get a lot they soon count up to a few dollars.  So it takes six weeks for mail to come from Punta Arenas.  What kind of photos are you going to send.  I will have some good ones taken of myself in Frisco and you can send them one but don't sen any I have sent so far.  I guess by this time you have got our mail from Callao as it has had plenty of time to reach you.  So everybody enjoys my letter do they.  Even Frances has to read them herself.  She is a good little girl and Miss Crissinan always speaks of her in her letters.  Well have lots to tell you when I get home.  Guess I'ill close this and anwser Rogers and Papa.  Hoping you are well.

I remain your Son and Brother, Milton.


Not Found

Apologies, but no results were found for the requested archive. Perhaps searching will help find a related post.